Fight Male Infertility Through Healthy Living

Posted by Admin on August 30, 2011

Often in the case of infertility, mainstream culture and media often portray the problem as though it exists exclusively with women. However, the truth is that roughly 30 percent of infertility problems are caused by men, and an additional 20 percent are the result of a combination of factors relating to both male and female sides. So in truth, men are involved in fully 50 percent of infertility problems.

This translates to more than 3 million men having either no sperm, malformed sperm, or directionless sperm. According to Edward Marut, medical director of Fertility Centers of Ilinois, the main way that male infertility can be overcome is through health living. Here are some healthy approaches:

  • Reduce obesity. Obesity can lead to hormonal changes that can be detrimental with a person’s fertility, according to research done at Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine. The scientists claim that obese men typically have fewer children than non-obese men.
  • Avoid certain forms of medication. Researchers from Cornell Medical Center in New York have discovered that some antidepressants are capable of damaging sperm. This can lead to a situation where, even if the sperm fertilizes an egg, the resulting embryo may be too sick to survive.
  • Stay away from concentrations of highly polluted air. Certain air pollutants have the potential to reduce the mobility of men’s sperm, according to research from the Univesity of Utah’s Division of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility.

Marut claims that men who are those most fertile are those who eat healthy, are not overweight, do not smoke, drink moderately, exercise regularly, take multivitamins and avoid caffeine.

For men who wish to determine if they are fertile, there is a new test available that will save time, money, and heartache for couples around the world.

Developed by Queen’s University Belfast, the medical breakthrough known as SpermComet provides unique information that is not provided by any other test. Through the measurement of damaged DNA in individual sperm, the test can predict the success of infertility treatments and can help couples determine the most effective treatment for their case, leading to reduced wait times and improved chances for conception.

According to professor Sheena Lewis, roughly one in six couples has difficulty with conception. In nearly 40 percent of cases, the problems are related to the man. Until now, there have been few reliable and accurate ways of determining a man’s fertility. The traditional approach to determine male fertility has relied and semen analysis. This approach has only resulted in limited success in predicting male fertility as a result of infertility treatment, particularly if the semen analysis results are normal.


Subscribe to our newsletter

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new stories on

Featured Specialities:

Featured Doctors:

Optimal Wellness Network

Dr. Damon Noto, MD
Hip, Knee & Shoulder Replacement Alternatives

777 Terrace Avenue, 4th Floor
Hasbrouck Heights, NJ 07604

Call: 877-412-4838

Empire Physical Medicine & Pain Management

Dr. Steven S. Moalemi, M.D.
Pinched Nerve Uptown Manhattan, New York City

551 5th Avenue Ste. 525
Manhattan, NY 10176

Call: (888) 898-7795

 Associates in Family Chiropractic & Natural Health Care, P.C.
Physical Therapy Norwalk, Connecticut

156 East Avenue
Norwalk, CT 06851

Call: (203) 838-1555

Optimal Wellness

 Dr. Joseph E. Bosiljevac
Dr. Joseph E. Bosiljevac

14 E.69th Street
New York, NY 10021

Call: 888-913-1592

Royal Medical Clinic

Dr. Daniel Royal
Fibromyalgia Treatment Las Vegas

9065 S. Pecos Rd., Ste. 250
Henderson, NV 89074

Call: 888-664-7161

Ferraro Spine & Rehabilitation

Dr. Peter Ferraro, D.C.
Knee/Joint Replacement Alternatives Bergen County, New Jersey

230 Midland Ave
Saddle Brook, NJ 07663

Call: 888-797-1692