This office serves patients in the following areas:
Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Central Park, Harlem, Central Harlem, East Harlem, West Harlem, Morningside Heights, Washington Heights, Inwood, Midtown, Midtown East, Central Midtown, Midtown West/Hell's Kitchen/Clinton, Chelsea, Garment District, Flatiron District, Gramercy Park, Kips Bay, Murray Hill, Battery Park City, Financial District, Wall Street, TriBeCa, Chinatown, Lower East Side, Little Italy, SoHo, Greenwich Village, East Village, Central Village, West Village, Brooklyn, Manhattan, NYC, New York, New York City 10005
This office can handle the following languages:
Dr. John L. Holup, DO supports and provides the following treatment options for obese patients before and after their surgery.
Weight Loss Surgery- A major surgery used to treat morbid obesity, for patients who are 100lbs. above their ideal body weight or for those with a Body Mass Index of 40 or greater.
Diet & Behavior Modification- Prescribed diets that are created by doctors who want the patients to have a restricted calorie intake while keeping up in nutrition. These diets fall into two basic categories:
- Low Calorie Diets (LCDs) are individually planned so that the patient takes in 500 to 1,000 fewer calories a day than he or she burns.
- Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCDs) typically limit caloric intake to 400 to 800 a day and feature high-protein, low-fat liquids.
Exercise- An exercise program is great to help obese patients before and after surgery (if necessary). A National Institutes of Health survey of 13 studies concludes that physical activity:
- Results in modest weight loss in overweight and obese individuals.
- Increases cardiovascular fitness, even when there is no weight loss.
- Can help maintain weight loss.
Over-the-Counter & Prescription Drugs- Over-the-counter and prescription weight loss medications have been introduced to effectively curb the appetite for patients living with obesity.
Dr. John L Holup, DO
10 E Union Square Ste., 2N
New York, NY 10003
Tel: (888) 762-2167
Beth Israel Medical Center - PACC