Brochure Discusses Osteoporosis Drugs' Effect on Jawbone

Posted by Admin on May 26, 2009

Older dental patients should not stop taking osteoporosis medications over fear of developing a rare condition in which portions of the jawbone die, a new public-information brochure says.     Fear has been rising recently over the fact that some patients who have taken bisphosphonates , a group of drugs that work to reverse osteoporosis, a condition of low bone density, have developed bisphosphonate-associated osteonecrosis of the jaw. The malady, in which the bone of the jaw necrotizes , or dies, is rare but serious, and can badly damage the jawbone. It’s diagnosed in patients who have an area of exposed bone in the jaw that lasts for at least eight weeks, who have no history of head or neck radiation therapy and who are taking, now or in the past, a bisphosphonate drug.

Medical researchers haven’t investigated to what extent taking bisphosphonates causes osteonecrosis of the jaw, but they agree the link is probably tenuous. In fact, 94 percent of those with osteonecrosis of the jaw also have cancer and are receiving or have received regular high doses of bisphosphonates intravenously. The other 6 percent with osteonecrosis of the jaw took oral bisphosphonates.

“Patients who take bisphosphonates for osteoporosis are encouraged to talk to their dentist so that their dentist can show them good oral hygiene practices as well as monitor their oral health,” says Matthew Messina, an Ohio dentist who is also the American Dental Association’s consumer adviser. “Patients should not stop taking their osteoporosis medications without speaking with their physicians.”
In fact, according to the American Dental Association, osteoporosis medications have many more benefits than the tiny risks associated with developing osteonecrosis of the jaw. The purpose of bisphosphonates is to build bone mass to prevent broken bones in those who suffer from osteoporosis, which causes 2 million fractures a year, according to the National Osteoporosis Foundation. It’s estimated that 50 percent of women and 20 percent of men older than 50 will suffer an osteoporosis-caused fracture.

The most common bisphosphonate drugs are alendronate (Fosamax), ibandronate (Boniva), risedonate (Actone) and zoledronic acid (Reclast).


Subscribe to our newsletter

Enter your email address to subscribe and receive notifications of new stories on

Featured Specialities:

Featured Doctors:

MedWell Spine & Neuropathy Center

 MedWell, L.L.C.
Orthopedic Doctor Bergen County, New Jersey

33 Central Ave
Midland Park, NJ 07432

Call: (888) 820-2250

 Columbia Center for Shoulder, Elbow and Sports Medicine
Columbia Orthopedic Doctors

622 West 168 Street, PH11-Center
Manhattan North, NY 10032

Call: 888-687-9022

 Associates in Family Chiropractic & Natural Health Care, P.C.
Sciatica Pain Relief Norwalk, Fairfield County, CT

156 East Avenue
Norwalk, CT 06851

Call: (203) 838-1555

Ferraro Spine & Rehabilitation

Dr. Peter Ferraro, D.C.
Neck Pain Bergen County, NJ

230 Midland Ave
Saddle Brook, NJ 07663

Call: 888-797-1692