Spider & Varicose Vein Treatment Center near Mamaroneck, NY
(Highlights the most important and common risk factors for the development of spider veins and varicose veins)
Do you shy away from shorts in the summer because of your spider or varicose veins?
Spider veins and varicose veins are a condition that affects a large proportion of American adults. As our bodies age, a variety of reasons can cause weaknesses in the veins, which can manifest as spider or varicose veins. If you are concerned about developing spider or varicose veins, see the list below to view the most common risk factors:
- Aging: Increasing age is the most common risk factor for vein weakness, and more than half of all U.S. adults over age 50 have some type of vein disease.
- Medical history of vein problems: If you were born with weak valves in the veins, you will be at greater risk for developing spider or varicose veins. Your risk is also increased if you have family members with vein problems. In fact, nearly half of all people with varicose veins have at least one family member who has them, as well.
- Hormonal changes: Changes in the hormones brought on by puberty, pregnancy, and/or menopause can increase your risk of developing varicose veins. In addition, birth control pills or other medications containing estrogen or progesterone can increase your risk.
- Obesity: Being overweight can put extra pressure on the veins in your legs and can lead to the formation of varicose veins.
- Sedentary lifestyle: Sitting or standing for long periods of time forces your veins to work harder to bring blood back to the heart and can increase your risk of spider and varicose veins.
- Exposure to the sun: Sun exposure can cause spider veins to form on the face, especially for people with fair skin.
If you believe you are at risk for developing spider or varicose veins and would like to learn more about how you can prevent and/or treat this condition, call us today at the Premiere Vein Center of Mamaroneck, NY.