Spider & Varicose Vein Treatment Center near Cordtland Manor, NY
(Tips and advice regarding the prevention and management of spider veins and varicose veins during pregnancy)
Are you worried that you might develop varicose veins during your pregnancy?
Due to hormonal changes in the body that occur with puberty, pregnancy, and menopause, women are at greater risk for developing both spider veins and varicose veins. Pregnancy, in particular, places great stress on the body, and varicose veins often develop as a result of this stress. In fact, studies suggest that over half of pregnant women experience some problem with varicose veins during their pregnancy.
Varicose veins are prevalent during pregnancy for a number of reasons, including increased blood volume in the body, extra pressure placed on the legs by the growing uterus, and hormonal changes that occur throughout the pregnancy. While most varicose veins that develop during pregnancy will diminish approximately three months after delivery, this is not always the case. If you are concerned about varicose veins during your pregnancy, check out the prevention and management tips below and contact the Premiere Vein Center of Cordtland Manor, NY, for more information:
- Wear elastic support stockings prescribed by your doctor
- Engage in regular exercise and manage weight gain during your pregnancy
- Avoid crossing your legs as you sit
- Avoid frequent periods of prolonged sitting or standing
- Elevate your feet and legs whenever possible to give your veins the benefit of gravity
- Spend as much as time as possible throughout your pregnancy walking to keep your muscles and veins healthy
- Eat a diet that is rich in vitamin C to support the health and elasticity of your veins
With all of the inherent anxieties and concerns that pregnancy brings along with it, you should not need to be worried about varicose veins, as well. To learn more about how you can make healthy lifestyle choices to prevent and manage varicose veins, contact the Premiere Vein Centers today.